Satellites can enhance 5G networks by solving coverage and challenging use cases beyond ground-based infrastructure. By mid-2023, Non-terrestrial Networks (NTN) is a thriving market with diverse technical and commercial strategies. 5G NTN delivers high-speed wireless access to remote areas, utilizing satellites on the mobile network’s access side to provide ground users with mobile services.
“Update on 5G Non-Terrestrial Networks” examines the growing ecosystem of providers and partnerships between NTN service providers and ground-based cellular providers. In addition, it highlights satellite constellations operating in three key domains: broadband and Internet services, Internet of Things connectivity, and Direct-to-Cell applications.
Some key topics surrounding NTN networks in this 5G Americas report include:
- Current status of NTN networks
- Architectural paradigms update
- 5G NTN standardization in 3GPP
- New Radio (NR), and IoT support NTN in Release 17
- NTN enhancements in 3GPP Release 18
- Potential for new services with 3GPP NTN solution
- Federal Communications Commission activities related to NTN
- Recommendations & conclusions