T-Mobile Media Release | Feb 2, 2022
Unrivaled 5G Network Leadership and Best Value Combined with Industry‑Leading Postpaid Customer Growth Set Up Strong 2022 Outlook
Industry-Leading and Record-High Postpaid Account and Postpaid Customer Net Additions in 2021(1)
- Postpaid net account additions of 315 thousand in Q4 2021 — 1.2 million in full-year 2021, more than doubled year-over-year
- Postpaid net customer additions of 1.8 million in Q4 2021 — 5.5 million in full-year 2021, exceeded guidance
- Postpaid phone net customer additions of 844 thousand in Q4 2021 — 2.9 million in full-year 2021, increased 32% year-over-year
- High Speed Internet net customer additions of 224 thousand in Q4 2021, highest in industry— 546 thousand in full-year 2021
Differentiated Growth Model Unlocks Industry-Leading Service Revenue and Cash Flow Growth in 2021
- Service revenues of $15.0 billion in Q4 2021 — $58.4 billion in full-year 2021, record-high
- Net income of $422 million in Q4 2021 — $3.0 billion in full-year 2021
- Core Adjusted EBITDA(2) of $5.7 billion in Q4 2021 — $23.6 billion in full-year 2021, exceeded guidance
- Net cash provided by operating activities of $3.0 billion in Q4 2021 — $13.9 billion in full-year 2021, grew more than 60% year-over-year
- Free Cash Flow(2) of $1.1 billion in Q4 2021 — $5.6 billion in full-year 2021, nearly doubled year-over-year(3)
Award-Winning 5G Network Pulls Further Ahead of Competition as Merger Synergies Ramp
- Ultra Capacity 5G covered 210 million people and Extended Range 5G covered 94% of people at year-end
- Merger synergies of $3.8 billion in full-year 2021 increased nearly 3x year-over-year, exceeded guidance
Doing Good – the Un-carrier way – Leading the Industry to Build Sustainable Future and Bridge Digital Divide
- First and only U.S. wireless provider to commit to and achieve its RE100 goal in 2021, years ahead of others
- Project 10Million connected 3.2 million students and High Speed Internet reaches 10 million rural households
Strong 2022 Outlook on Continued Industry-Leading Postpaid Customer Growth and Merger Synergies(4)
- Core Adjusted EBITDA(2) is expected to grow approximately 10% year-over-year at mid-point of guidance
- Net cash provided by operating activities is expected to grow more than 10% year-over-year and Free Cash Flow(2) is expected to grow more than 30% year-over-year at mid-point of guidance
(1) AT&T Inc. historically does not disclose postpaid net account additions.
(2) Core Adjusted EBITDA and Free Cash Flow are non-GAAP financial measures. These non-GAAP financial measures should be considered in addition to, but not as a substitute for, the information provided in accordance with GAAP. Reconciliations for these non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures are provided in the Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures to GAAP Financial Measures tables. We are not able to forecast Net income on a forward-looking basis without unreasonable efforts due to the high variability and difficulty in predicting certain items that affect Net income including, but not limited to, Income tax expense, stock-based compensation expense and Interest expense.
Core Adjusted EBITDA should not be used to predict Net income as the difference between either of the two measures and Net Income is variable.
(3) As compared to Free Cash Flow excluding gross payments for the settlement of interest rate swaps in 2020.
(4) Postpaid customer growth is based on industry consensus expectations.
BELLEVUE, Wash. – February 2, 2021 – T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) reported fourth quarter and full-year 2021 results today, delivering industry-leading service revenue and cash flow growth in 2021 enabled by its differentiated customer growth momentum and synergy-backed model. T-Mobile’s unmatched network and value combination resulted in record-high and industry-leading postpaid account and customer growth in 2021.
“T-Mobile had our strongest year ever. We didn’t just meet the bold goals we set for 2021 around customer growth, profitability, merger synergies and network buildout – we crushed all of them,” said Mike Sievert, T-Mobile CEO. “Our industry-leading year-end results – adding 1.2 million postpaid accounts and 5.5 million postpaid customers, extending Ultra Capacity 5G to 210 million people – show that the Un-carrier is experiencing the greatest growth momentum in wireless. And we’re poised to sustain that position into 2022 and beyond as we continue to execute on our winning playbook and consistently make investments that have enabled our success. With plenty of room to run, we’re in the best-ever position to continue delivering.”
For the full release and factbook, go to the T-Mobile Investor Relations page.
About T-Mobile US, Inc.
T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is America’s supercharged Un-carrier, delivering an advanced 4G LTE and transformative nationwide 5G network that will offer reliable connectivity for all. T-Mobile’s customers benefit from its unmatched combination of value and quality, unwavering obsession with offering them the best possible service experience and undisputable drive for disruption that creates competition and innovation in wireless and beyond. Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile. For more information please visit: http://www.t-mobile.com.
This communication includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All statements other than statements of historical fact, including information concerning T-Mobile US, Inc.’s future results of operations, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are generally identified by the words “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “could” or similar expressions. Forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and assumptions, which are subject to risks and uncertainties and may cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements. Important factors that could affect future results and cause those results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements include, among others, the following: natural disasters, public health crises, including the COVID-19 pandemic (the “Pandemic”), terrorist attacks or similar incidents; adverse economic, political or market conditions in the U.S. and international markets, including those caused by the Pandemic; competition, industry consolidation and changes in the market condition for wireless services; disruption, data loss or other security attacks, such as the criminal cyberattack we became aware of in August 2021; our inability to take advantage of technology developments on a timely basis; our inability to retain or motivate key personnel, hire qualified personnel or maintain our corporate culture; system failures and business disruptions, allowing for unauthorized use of or interference with our network and other systems; scarcity and cost of additional wireless spectrum and regulations relating to spectrum use; the impacts of the actions we have taken and conditions we have agreed to in connection with the regulatory proceedings and approvals of the Transactions (as defined below), including the acquisition by DISH Network Corporation (“DISH”) of the prepaid wireless business operated under the Boost Mobile and Sprint prepaid brands (excluding the Assurance brand Lifeline customers and the prepaid wireless customers of Shenandoah Personal Communications Company LLC (“Shentel”) and Swiftel Communications, Inc.), including customer accounts, inventory, contracts, intellectual property and certain other specified assets (the “Prepaid Business”), and the assumption of certain related liabilities (the “Prepaid Transaction”), the complaint and proposed final judgment (the “Consent Decree”) agreed to by us, Deutsche Telekom AG (“DT”), Sprint Corporation (“Sprint”), SoftBank Group Corp. (“SoftBank”) and DISH with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, which was approved by the Court on April 1, 2020, the proposed commitments filed with the Secretary of the Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”), which we announced on May 20, 2019, certain national security commitments and undertakings, and any other commitments or undertakings entered into including but not limited to those we have made to certain states and nongovernmental organizations (collectively, the “Government Commitments”), and the challenges in satisfying the Government Commitments in the required time frames and the significant cumulative costs incurred in tracking and monitoring compliance; economic, political and market conditions; our inability to manage the ongoing commercial and transition services arrangements entered into in connection with the Prepaid Transaction, and known or unknown liabilities arising in connection therewith; the effects of any future acquisition, investment, or merger involving us; any disruption or failure of our third parties (including key suppliers) to provide products or services for the operation of our business; our substantial level of indebtedness and our inability to service our debt obligations in accordance with their terms or to comply with the restrictive covenants contained therein or limitations on our operating flexibility imposed by such covenants; changes in US credit market conditions, credit rating downgrade or an inability to access the investment grade debt markets; the risk of future material weaknesses we may identify while we work to integrate and align policies, principles and practices of the two companies following the Merger (as defined below), or any other failure by us to maintain effective internal controls, and the resulting significant costs and reputational damage; any changes in regulations or in the regulatory framework under which we operate; laws and regulations relating to the handling of privacy and data protection; unfavorable outcomes of existing or future legal proceedings, including proceedings and inquiries relating to the criminal cyberattack we became aware of in August 2021; our offering of regulated financial services products and exposure to a wide variety of state and federal regulations; new or amended tax laws or regulations or administrative interpretations and judicial decisions affecting the scope or application of tax laws or regulations; the possibility that we may be unable to renew our wireless licenses on attractive terms or the possible revocation of our existing licenses in the event that we violate applicable laws; the choice of forum provision contained in our Certificate of Incorporation; interests of our significant stockholders that may differ from the interests of other stockholders; future sales of our common stock by DT and SoftBank and our inability to attract additional equity financing outside the United States due to foreign ownership limitations by the FCC; our lack of plan to pay cash dividends in the foreseeable future; failure to realize the expected benefits and synergies of the merger (the “Merger”) with Sprint, pursuant to the Business Combination Agreement with Sprint and the other parties named therein (as amended, the “Business Combination Agreement”) and the other transactions contemplated by the Business Combination Agreement (collectively, the “Transactions”) in the expected timeframes or in the amounts anticipated; any delay and costs of, or difficulties in, integrating our business and Sprint’s business and operations, and unexpected additional operating costs, customer loss and business disruptions, including challenges in maintaining relationships with employees, customers, suppliers or vendors; and unanticipated difficulties, disruption, or significant delays in our long-term strategy to migrate Sprint’s legacy customers onto T-Mobile’s existing billing platforms; and other risks as disclosed in our most recent annual report on Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Given these risks and uncertainties, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements. We undertake no obligation to revise or publicly release the results of any revision to these forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
T-Mobile US Media Relations MediaRelations@t-mobile.com
Investor Relations firstname.lastname@example.org