Qualcomm Media Release | Oct 26, 2021
Four New Snapdragon 5G and 4G Mobile Platforms Expected to Launch Commercially in Q4 2021
WHAT’S NEW: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. introduced four new mobile platforms – Snapdragon® 778G Plus 5G, 695 5G, 480 Plus 5G, and 680 4G – to enable increased performance and capabilities across our high-, mid-, and entry-tiers. These 5G and 4G mobile platforms enable increased performance and capabilities to provide OEMs with additional options to help meet the existing demand.
“Mid-range smartphones are expected to be the main driver for accelerating 5G device adoption – especially in emerging regions,” said Deepu John, senior director, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “These four new additions to our roadmap create significant opportunity for our OEM customers and provides additional options to continue to meet the growing demand for our 5G and 4G mobile platforms.”
There is significant traction and momentum across all Snapdragon tiers. By bringing cutting-edge features from the Snapdragon 8-series into the 7-, 6-, and 4-series, it is contributing to the growing demand across each Snapdragon series. The Snapdragon 7-series has grown by 44% in the last year alone due to tremendous high-tier demand. In the 6-series, consumer trends are emerging that show mid-tier smartphones will be the main driver for 5G adoption especially in emerging regions. Additionally, after less than one year, there have been more than 85 devices announced or in development based on the Snapdragon 480.
Snapdragon 778G Plus 5G Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 778G Plus, a follow-on to Snapdragon 778G with boosted GPU and CPU performance, is designed to deliver cutting-edge mobile gaming and accelerated artificial intelligence (AI) to enable stunning photo and video experiences.
Snapdragon 695 5G Mobile Platform
The new Snapdragon 695 5G Mobile Platform delivers truly global 5G with support for both mmWave and sub-6 GHz. This platform features up to 30% faster graphics rendering and 15% improvement in CPU performance (compared to Snapdragon 690), which enables immersive gaming, high-end capture, and increased productivity.
Snapdragon 480 Plus 5G Mobile Platform
In less than a year, more than 85 devices have been announced or are currently in development based on Snapdragon 480. Building upon that success, Snapdragon 480 Plus will continue to help drive further proliferation of 5G, allowing users access to truly global 5G connectivity and boosted performance to power in-demand productivity and entertainment experiences.
Snapdragon 680 4G Mobile Platform
The new Snapdragon 680 4G Mobile Platform, which is built on 6nm process technology, is designed to deliver compelling all-day experiences, including optimized gaming and triple ISP featuring AI-enhanced low light capture technology. As 5G adoption continues to commercialize around the world, Snapdragon 680 helps address the continued demand for incredible LTE experiences.
Supporting OEM Quotes
- HMD Global: “The Snapdragon 480 5G Mobile Platform has been an instrumental part of HMD Global’s drive to bring high quality, affordable 5G smartphones, supported by commitments to longevity and reliability, to as many people as possible. Powering devices in our X-series like the life-proof Nokia XR20, and now bringing 5G to our most accessible price point yet with the Nokia G50, the Snapdragon 480 has brought a strong blend of performance and reliability to our users. We are excited to continue to innovate and deliver great experiences to our customers in collaboration with Qualcomm Technologies and look forward to the launch of the Snapdragon 480 Plus.”
- Honor: “Qualcomm Technologies continues to deliver advanced solutions across their entire mobile roadmap, and together with HONOR’s commitment to innovate on every mobile platform, has allowed us to deliver the best possible user experiences that our customers deserve. We are looking forward to launching new devices based on the new Snapdragon mobile platforms that Qualcomm Technologies announced today,” said Fang Fei, president of product line, HONOR Device Co., Ltd.
- Motorola: “As 5G becomes widely available we continue our commitment to bring this technology to our consumers around the world,” said Dan Dery, vice president of products, Motorola Mobility. “With the integration of these new Snapdragon mobile platforms into our upcoming 5G and 4G device portfolio, we are enabled to unleash incredible mobile experiences from faster connectivity to enhanced gaming and imaging experiences. Fully aligned with our vision of empowering our consumers to achieve their best.”
- OPPO: “The new Snapdragon 695 5G Mobile Platform takes 5G truly global with mmWave and sub-6 in the 6-series, which will deliver high-speed connection enabled smooth experiences in all scenarios,” said Henry Duan, vice president, president of smartphone, OPPO. “We’re excited to launch a device based on the Snapdragon 695 in the coming months and bring even more incredible experiences to consumers.”
- vivo: “vivo are joining hands with Qualcomm Technologies to fulfill the shared commitment to further 5G proliferation, while addressing the ongoing demand for 4G smartphones,” said Xinlin Luan, general manager of product, vivo. “We are excited to adopt the newly announced Snapdragon Mobile Platforms in our coming devices and bring the excellent connectivity, gaming and entertainment experiences to devices of broader tiers.”
- Xiaomi: “Xiaomi and Qualcomm Technologies are committed to bringing the best mobile experiences to consumers,” said Chang Cheng, vice president of Xiaomi Corp. “We are excited to adopt the new Snapdragon 778G Plus 5G and Snapdragon 695 5G Mobile Platforms the deliver smartphones that will enable truly global 5G, enhanced AI, and immersive gaming experiences.”
Qualcomm is the world’s leading wireless technology innovator and the driving force behind the development, launch, and expansion of 5G. When we connected the phone to the internet, the mobile revolution was born. Today, our foundational technologies enable the mobile ecosystem and are found in every 3G, 4G and 5G smartphone. We bring the benefits of mobile to new industries, including automotive, the internet of things, and computing, and are leading the way to a world where everything and everyone can communicate and interact seamlessly.
Qualcomm Incorporated includes our licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of our patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, substantially all of our engineering, research and development functions, and substantially all of our products and services businesses, including our QCT semiconductor business.
Snapdragon is a trademark or registered trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated.
Snapdragon is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.