May 4, 2020| NextCurve
Necessity is the mother of invention. There has been no moment of need in modern times as urgent as what we face today as humanity grapples with the COVID-19 pandemic. In three months, the virus has spread to over 180 countries around the globe, infecting millions, and has arrested the largest and smallest of economies. At the same time, it has created an unprecedented need for connectivity and communications. Now, more than ever, unconventional thinking and leadership as well as innovative applications of technologies such as 5G are dire necessities for addressing the many COVID-19-related challenges that are disrupting millions of lives and jeopardizing trillions in economic value.
This neXt Curve research brief explores the following topics regarding the innovation and leadership opportunities for the 5G industry in addressing the crisis of our time, the COVID-19 pandemic:
- COVID-19: the global moment of dire need – The great societal impact and economic cost of global pandemic.
- The continuum of mission critical needs – The urgent need to scale and flex our response capabilities and resources along the epidemic curve.
- The pandemic is a crucible of innovation – Opportunities to leverage 5G and other transformative technologies to invent critical applications for the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 5G: a platform for innovation – 5G’s role in enabling the critical applications for killing the COVID-19 pandemic curve.
- Mission critical infrastructure for mission critical innovation – The need for 5G in fostering the resilient and capable communications infrastructure that we require in our global response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Recommendations for business, technology and government leaders – A call for collaboration, co-creation, and inventive leadership.