Since 3G, the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) has standardized features and specifications for wireless cellular networks around the world. This 5G Americas paper provides a detailed background on 3GPP’s work leading into 2025, focusing on the organization’s processes, a review of major enhancements and new vertical applications, an assessment of global market trends and use cases, and a developmental timeline for currently active 3GPP releases. It also covers radio access technologies, highlighting 22 new and enhanced RAN features and capabilities.
“Becoming 5G-Advanced: the 3GPP 2025 Roadmap” explores the following key topics:
- Review of 3GPP Rel-17 and 3GPP Rel-18 (5G Advanced)
- Global market trends, new use cases and 3GPP timeline
- Radio access technologies
- System architecture, core networks, and services
- Enhancements for non-public networks, seamless user equipment (UE) context recovery, access traffic steering split & switch, location services (LCS) enhancements, and next generation real time communication (RTC).
Karri Kuoppamaki, SVP of Radio Network Technology and Strategy at T-Mobile said, “Following the successes of 5G in Releases 15 through 17, we expect Release 18 to bring additional technical enhancements in many areas including artificial intelligence and extended reality. The expected 5G-Advanced features will continue the progress of mobile communications and have a significant impact on future wireless networks.”