With global 5G networks providing new enhanced technical capabilities serving over 429 million connections, modern industries are examining how 5G wireless cellular connectivity impacts their businesses. Today, 5G Americas, the voice of 5G and LTE for the Americas announced the publication of a new white paper entitled “5G Vertical Use Cases,” which provides a deep dive on the benefits, opportunities, and requirements for enterprise adoption of 5G.
The new 5G Vertical Use Cases white paper identifies how 5G offers numerous innovations, which make it very different from 4G LTE. These innovations include higher speed and enhanced connectivity through new spectrum, dedicated resource management with network slicing, highly reliable communication for latencies less than 10 milliseconds, improved security, a distributed packet core that spreads core network functions to the network edge, and flexible service creation and deployment with Service-Based Architecture (SBA).
Additionally, the white paper clarifies the different factors that all decision-makers should consider, irrespective of industry, including availability of spectrum, intended use of spectrum or “spectral determinism”, area of coverage over corporate buildings, cybersecurity needs, connectivity availability and reliability requirements, data sovereignty issues, ease-of-use, and liability, responsibility, and ownership of network assets.
“5G Vertical Use Cases” looks at specific use cases in the following key industries:
- Manufacturing – perhaps the most opportunistic and demanding industry for wireless enhancements which 5G promises to fulfill.
- Mining – which has been using 4G LTE technology for several years, offering numerous key lessons.
- Utilities – a huge emerging sector where 4G LTE and 5G technologies can provide benefits at a tremendous scale.
- Healthcare and Education – which offer immediate returns for better wireless connectivity due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Gaming – which can take advantage of unique aspects of technology such as Multi-Access Edge Compute and AR/VR.
For More Information